After much consideration, I decided I'd like to get some goodies along with my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. The CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Ultimate Starter Kit (32 GB Edition) is what I ultimately purchased. It just arrived and I am glad I bought it as it has everything a noob like me needs and then some.
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
- 32GB MicroSD Card (Class 10) with NOOBS already installed providing Linux
- 2.5A Micro USB Power Supply
- Clear Raspberry Pi 3 Case
- HDMI Cable for hooking up my monitor
- Large Breadboard for breaking out the electronics
- GPIO to Breadboard Interface Board and Ribbon Cable to make it even easier to connect up robotics
- a Heat Sink, Jumper Wires, LEDs, Push Button Switches, and Resistors
Although I don't really need the LEDs and such for K-9, they will be useful in teaching my son and myself how the pins work for controlling external devices.
We'll be taking our time setting up the Rpi and learning how to communicate with it over SSH and VNC (thus rendering the keyboard, mouse, and HDMI display moot) before we ever start plugging stuff into it to give it servos and sensors.